Friday, May 1, 2009

What has happened since?

It's a grey and drizzly day, which I am so thankful for. The weather has been so good, too good- debilitatingly good. I moved to California because I had notions of endless shorelines and radiant sunshine, and I was not mistaken. But productivity nosedived as I felt I owed it to myself to spend as many waking walking minutes in the sun as possible, to compensate for those couple of long winters in Scotland and captive living in NYC, no matter how long ago they were. It seems as if prior Vitamin D deficiency is a condition that could require a long convalescene..much time to repair....perhaps involving many trips to the Caribbean, Mexico, and anywhere else I need to justify spending endless amounts of time. Ok I will pass on Mexico until the whole Swine Flu thing blows over.

So, as this morning's grey curtains parted and afternoon dreary skies remain, I have already achieved something monumental: narrowed down health insurance plans to four options. This process has taken me months, unforgivably, but it seems impossible to foresee what will be the best line of defense against unknown events. But impossible or not, it has to be done. I do believe that whatever work you do, you should do it well, even if it's not your passion, because it can make a huge difference in someone else's day, if not life. My insurance help-agent saint or whatever she would be called, Rachel, has held my hand through the process, and finally made it manageable enough that I can now call my parents without dreading this inevitable topic of conversation. I can't believe I'm blogging about choosing health insurance so it's time to talk about something else.

Except one more thing- you know you have a good friend if he/she is willing to sit down with you and help you narrow down those four options to a single one- a plan of action. So, thank you Eric, and for our date on Friday afternoon to take care of this exciting business. I will buy him an icecream in compensation. Even with four possible plans, I am still bogged down in the existentialism inherent in choosing an insurance policy. He will steer me clear of these conversations that paralyze my decision making process on purchasing a plan: What is life? What is health? What is fear? How do I balance those, with cost? What is money? What is money to me when aiding or impeding to feeling safe? Feeling free? AI YA

Work. Work just got a lot better. I am now resident biographer of my fascinating boss. I am no longer strictly relegated to trolling around facebook and myspace, trying to make the vast world of social networking relevant and useful in promoting the activities of my non-profit. The first chapter is about how she would like to die.

Acupuncture. Acupuncture is, for better or worse (but probably a lot better) my new drug. Because I now have to get ready to leave for a networking event (on "networking" days I am always sure to wear my unique Camper boots that people can't seem to notice without making some kind of comment-- so that's my trick for getting people to talk to me. I'm not shy-- but I'm also not the first to make the first overture-- except when I met Tom, because he was wearing even more "flair" than me- I was indeed wearing my boots, but he one-upped me, because he was wearing a plastic sword in his belt.)

So, I will talk about acupuncture tomorrow. And my nightmarish day yesterday, which involved lots of losing. Losing a bike, my patience, my way, my words, almost my mind, (but only for a moment). I also took a bite into a melted chocolate truffle that exploded in a flying chocolate puddle all over my clothes. It felt like some kind of metaphor for my current life. I am trying to get to the sweet core, all at once, but instead it's very messy and unpredictable.

See you soon!

No comments: