Monday, April 20, 2009

Hot Hot Hot!

San Francisco heat wave. It's 10:30pm and mid April, but if you closed your eyes, you would think it was an East Coast summer night. It's actually HOT. Just two nights ago I was sleeping with my windows tightly shut, and even the sleeping bag draped over my duvet for added warmth. Today I am reeling from Vitamin D Delirium, and so I came up with a new nickname for sunstroke: Vitamin Delirium. It feels so good......until it feels so bad. Yesterday was the same way.

It was brilliantly sunny, blinding. It felt well over 80 degrees, the sky was cloudless, the grasses looked parched, there was a distinct summer buzz in the air. Everyone was out. We walked along Crissy Field, by the water and marina, bikini-clad bodies burned and browned themselves and somehow people were crazy enough to do sports in this heat- running, volleyball, frisbee, I could barely get myself to keep walking. In the car, DJs, in their famously smooth voices, made comments to their listeners about making sure to stay cool in this heat wave. I love when DJs play "cool jams" to take some of the simmer off the summer.. it reminds me of when I was in Taos New Mexico and a bolt of lightning struck the mountain and started a forest fire- and for twenty four hours the DJs only played songs that had the words "rain" or "water."

After lying out in Dolores Park, full of unemployed or springbreaking sun worshippers, we devoured ice cream. Jarema got the salted caramel and honey lavendar. I am relegated to sorbet, always. We walked and walked, with the heat rising up off the asphalt... it's so great having Jarema here, and imagining walking around the Mission as if it were only my first couple of times. It does feel like a small town, and in some ways, I do miss the anonymity of New York, and in other ways, that was one of the things that always made it so easy to leave.

I bought two beautiful succulent plants. I cannot rest my feet enough. I just wanted to tell you, simply, how hot it was today. Jarema loved it. I found it oppressive. I'm not siding with papa on this entirely, but there is something about the cold I crave on a night like tonight.

No comments: