Friday, May 8, 2009

Questions of the early afternoon

Some things I am thinking about before I get ready to go across the street to acupuncture:

Does Costco culture make Americans less spontaneous?

Can you be successful at a job where you don't believe in the company's mission?

If you are not a new agey person and yet you see visions, how should you make sense of this experience? What should be done about it?

Is it wrong to buy goods you know to be stolen?

What, if anything, should we feel obligated to do if we are part of a neighborhood's gentrification?

Ok now I have to get ready to go. I will however try NOT to keep thinking about these things as I am lying back in the reclining chair at the acupuncturists, because that is my favorite space to let my mind go, and only feel the changing sensations in my body.

Talk to you later.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I thought that perhaps CostCo makes us a little more spontaneous... I believe that their model is to rotate their stock and therefore the product, as well as the special deal will be gone next week... so you had better just buy it now... go- on... you know that you dont need it!! or perhaps I am being a bit too simplistic

Pema D said...

That is interesting-- I never thought about CostCo in terms of impulsive shopping. When I wrote, "Costco Culture" I was thinking more along the lines of this consumer behavior whereby we stock up on such huge quantities of goods- food or whatever- that it implies a very stationary lifestyle. We imagine our days blurring to weeks and months, where we will consistently need to have our sodas, chips, batteries, big huge bottles of shampoo...because we are going to be here, plodding along, using these same products and living these same days. I find it profoundly different than in places like Europe say where people do their shopping much more often, getting things they need for that day, or the next few days, shopping for fresh produce. I imagine this is a more "spontaneous" lifestyle that allows for constant adaptation and flexibility. Maybe I am romanticizing and maybe I am even misinformed on the shopping habits of Europeans! I am basing this off my experience living in Scotland and traveling a bit elsewhere. What do you think?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

ahh, ok got it