Monday, March 2, 2009

Cheese is the new Freddie Kruger

Tom doesn't want me to keep him up but it's actually his fault because he brought us to eat fondue, even though he read my previous blog post that expressly stated I was sick of cheese and bread. What did we eat tonight? Yep, you guessed it.

The cheese was in fact delicious, but had an effect similar, but different, to a double espresso. It made me feel woozy, giddy, drugged. I dread sleeping, what mayhem will wrack my dreams tonight I hesitate to imagine.

It was midnight and the city was nearly comatose. Walking on a winding, little cobblestone alleyway, a line of MGMT's hit song, "Time to Pretend" wafted out of one of these archaic and movie-set apartments, with the high ceilings, ornate metalwork balcony and the stone gargoyles above. As the city of Lausanne lulled, I was jerked awake with the vivid memory of watching Andrew and Beno do their MGMT act (back then it was The Management) in the backyard of Fountain (a street at Wesleyan with student housing), a late spring block party, everyone was there. The night air was sweaty with possibility, beer flowed from the kegs. How could I ever imagine that later, I would see their faces on a huge plasma TV at a junky expat bar in China, or hear that unforgettably catchy line drifting near the ancient cathedral in Switzerland?

Did they see this all coming? What can we see for ourselves?

---Now I'm writing this the next morning. I was right- my dreams were a disaster. I was in several car crashes, driving a car maniacally in reverse, at about 100mph, not knowing how to brake. After several attempts at getting someplace and bashing up the vehicle, I thought in my sleep, which shouuld I distrust more, cars or cheese?
I also dreamt of being conned into trying on a unicorn hat while a man tried to steal my things, and arguing with old friends. Needless to say, this morning, as I try to finish my writing excerpt on my time at the rainy season in Indonesia, my time at the monastery in China, and a Swedish girl with a mushroom top haircut.

No comments: